April 9, 2011

Leonardo

Wacom Project #1.
All digital - Photoshop.
Roughly 6 hours.

Okay, so I had just ordered my new Wacom tablet and was very excited to give it a whirl.  Thought I would give myself a familiar subject, since painting is still new to me.  I went with Leonardo from the Ninja Turtles.  One of my biggest influences as a kid growing up.  Such an influence that I had a few turtles as pets as a result.  So the muscle memory was already there.  Leo is done in the classic Eastman and Laird comic books that came out before the cartoon.  So that's the reason his bandana is red and not blue if you were wondering.  The work came in working out the lighting and rendering in Photoshop & tablet.  I think it turned out pretty well for what was essentially a trial.  Weird, but randomly I love putting big hands and feet on these guys, because turtles really do have big hands for digging.



Draft 1: Ink outlines. There was actually a few hours of work to get the tight ink line drawing down right.

Draft 2: Adding the shading & light source

Draft 3: Painted on the color. Really experimented with the idea of a directional light source, and a secondary orange backlight.


Draft 4: Added a background & light

Draft 5: He looked a little dark, so I lightened up the background a bit. The orange light reflected off his skin pops much more this way. Much better!

No comments: